Welp. We have an official cath date and officially "penciled in" surgery date, pending final cath results. So, we're calling it our "unofficially official" schedule.
Cardiac catheterization (where they check all pressures and confirm surgical plan, do any interventions they think will help his Fontan recovery (i.e. coiling any collateral veins affecting his pressures) and possibly attempt an ablation to reduce his EAT episodes) is scheduled for May 21st. It will require him to be intubated and should be an outpatient procedure, but as with all things Bodie, you just never know. Let me put it this way - I'll have a bag packed.
Fontan surgery date is scheduled for July 15th. More details on that forthcoming. For now I will just say it will be open-heart surgery, requiring bypass, intubation, life-saving drugs, the whole nine years. Not as difficult as his first surgery, but scary stuff nonetheless. For now, when people ask what will be done, my reply is generally "they're going to disconnect something and reconnect something else, and it has something to do with his Superior Vena Cava." At some point between now and July, I'm sure I'll provide a more detailed explanation.
Hard to believe we're really doing this again, putting our sweet boy through all of this.
Ugh. We really covet your prayers in the weeks and months ahead.
Having officially scheduled dates makes this whole denial thing a touch more difficult. Gulp.
Always praying for your family Amy.ReplyDelete
Hello Amy - I've been following your blog for some time. I was wondering if I could make contact with you - maybe on FB? My 2 1/2 yr old son has HLHS - he had his Fontan last summer.ReplyDelete
praying....and then praying some more.....ReplyDelete
BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN. BEAUTIFUL FAMILY PRAYERS CONTINUEReplyDelete