As hard as it is to believe, it appears that Bodie's Fontan surgery is finally upon us. We got our confirmation call from scheduling this afternoon. We are on deck at 9am tomorrow morning. We're first case of the morning for our surgeon (always a good thing), but things start a little later on Thursday mornings (I assume because they do CT conference on Thursday mornings where they discuss all scheduled surgeries). So 9am is the "early" slot.
We have to be at the hospital at 7 to allow for time for them to do a type match of his blood (because his pre-op was about 100 years ago at this point, they have to do a more updated match). And then, we should be on our way.
We're nervous. We're scared. We don't want to have to put our sweet, silly, larger than life towheaded little boy under anesthesia for open heart surgery for the 4th time. It's hard to explain how much life is in this little boy, and putting him through something this risky is so scary. The complications from open-heart surgery are relatively rare, but the consequences are grave and life altering: stroke, cardiac arrest and blood clots are some of the big ones. It is inexplicable what it feels like to sign a form that lists those risks for a procedure involving your 3 year old.
We really don't want to do this. We would move mountains to avoid this. But we know this is Bodie's best shot at his heart working as well as it possibly can. And we've been ready for this surgery for a long time. We've been staring this surgery in the face ever since we first heard the term Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, when all I knew of this boy was his feisty kicks and rolls. As much as we don't want to scale this mountain, our desire to be over it trumps. So we'll do it. Tomorrow, we will hand him over to an anesthesiologist, who will hand him over to an incredible surgical team, to mend his heart once again.
Please pray ferverently.
Pray that surgery goes off without a hitch (we have known of kids to make it all the way into anesthesia pre-op before finding out surgery was canceled, so it's always a possibility).
Pray that they don't have too much difficulty getting through his scar tissue.
Pray that Dr. Starnes is able to do the repair quickly, with as little bypass time as possible.
Pray that they are able to determine, from looking at his heart surface, the best way to ablate the part of his heart causing the fast heartrates; and that they are able to do so without causing damage to other parts of his heart or lungs.
Pray that Bodie doesn't suffer any of the risks of being on bypass.
Pray that Bodie is able to be extubated in the OR (this is sort of an icing-on-the-cake prayer request; it's fine if he's not, but it'd sure be great in terms of a quicker recovery if they can extubate him quickly).
Pray that Bodie's body tolerates the Fontan physiology and his recovery is smooth; that we are able to manage his pain.
Pray for peace for Dusk, for Sierra and for me. You know that feeling like your skin is crawling and you have to get out of wherever you are? Yeah, that's what it's like in the surgical waiting area. And we'll be there for several hours tomorrow. It stinks. Please pray for God's Holy peace to transcend our pain, our fears, our misgivings. Help us to remember we are turning Bodie over to GOD's hands, not anyone else's, that NOTHING that is going to happen in the OR tomorrow will be unknown to Him.
Friends, tomorrow will be a long, scary day for us.
Dusk and I are usually strong. But tomorrow, we will need you to intercede for us, to be on your knees asking for God's peace, for His grace, for His strength for our son and for our family. This is when you come alongside us, pick us up and carry us with your ferverent prayers.
We'll update tomorrow as we are able. Thank you, in advance, for covering Bodie, and our family, in your prayers.